You are able to customize the way your folders and other container objects (discussion forums, calendars etc.) are displayed at the BSCW user interface. The options are offered in the View menu in the top menu bar and differ slightly for different kinds of container objects (number of columns available, or special functions like the display of note contents in discussion forums).
• Choose View Foldout to enable or disable the display of subfolders. If the foldout option is active, two additional buttons in the multi-selection toolbar allow showing or hiding the contents of the subfolders selected (if no subfolders are selected, the contents of all subfolders are shown or hidden). If showing the contents of subfolders would exceed the maximal number of visible entries in folder listings set in your personal preferences, the subfolders contents are only hinted at and not shown completely.
• Choose View Compact to reduce descriptions to one short line; the complete description (including attributes and tags) is shown as a tooltip when you move your mouse over the shortened description. The icons and indicate that a description is longer than can be shown in the compact view.
• Choose View Descriptions to show or hide the descriptions of folder entries altogether.
• Choose View Columns to select which attributes of an entry are to be displayed in the columns of the folder view. The columns offered depend on the type of the current container: there are fewer columns in a member list than in the task list.
... to sort the entries of a folder. The sorting
criteria available are a subset of the entry attributes. The current sorting
criterion is indicated by a small upward or downward pointing triangle ( ) in front of the criterion in the drop down
menu. By clicking on this icon you can invert the sorting order.
The current sorting criterion is also indicated by a small black triangle ( ) near the respective column heading – when the column is shown at all. By clicking on a column heading which is underlined – meaning that the column attribute is a valid sorting criterion – you may directly sort the entries of a folder. Clicking on the column heading corresponding to the current sorting criterion inverts the sorting order.
• Choose View Filter to display only objects of a certain type or documents of a certain MIME type. The currently applied filter is indicated at the right-hand end of the multi-selection toolbar. Select ‘No Filter’ to have all objects and documents displayed in the folder listing.
With some container objects, you have additional options in the View menu, e.g. you may enable the display of note contents in discussion forums, or you may select among many viewing options for the display of calendars.
You may change several viewing options at a time by selecting View Customize . The action form has two sections: in the ‘General’ section you may activate or deactivate applicable options (like Foldout, Compact or Descriptions), while in the ‘Columns’ section you may set the columns to display in the folder listing.
You have the choice of having the viewing options set and stored individually for each folder and container object or of having the viewing options of one folder or container applied to all other folders and containers of the same or similar type as well. This option is set in your personal preferences:
• Click Options Preferences in the top menu bar and go to the ‘Presentation’ section of the action form.
• Check the option Remember each folder’s view options if each folder is to be individually treated with regard to viewing options; otherwise, the viewing options set for one folder or container also count for each and every other folder of the same or similar type.
If the Remember option is active, you are still able to transfer viewing options to other folders or containers.
• Choose View Apply to All Similar to set the viewing options of the current folder or container also for all other folders or containers of the same or similar type. By applying the viewing option of a folder to all similar containers, you transfer the viewing options to all other folders, website folders, template folders, flow folders, community folders, document sets as well as to personal objects like the clipboard and the briefcase, and vice versa. Using this action, viewing options are transferred from one calendar to all other calendars and from one discussion forum to all other discussion forums. Also, member lists and the address book are treated as similar.
When you have changed the viewing options of the current folder, you may still revert to the viewing options transferred to the current folder via Apply to All Similar by
• choosing View Reset .
If the Remember option is inactive, viewing options are set for all folders and containers of the same and similar type alike. You may exclude certain folders or containers from taking over the viewing options from peer containers by
• checking View Individual for a particular folder or container. You may then set the viewing options for this folder or container different from the viewing options from other containers of the same or similar type. The viewing options for individual folders or containers are protected from being overridden by the settings of other folder or containers.
When the Individual option of a folder or container is deactivated, the viewing options are reset to the viewing options of the non-individualized folders or containers of the same type.
If you want to apply the viewing options of an individualized folder to other folders and containers of similar type,
• choose View Apply to All Similar . Other individual folders will remain untouched by this action.