You can create and edit text documents (MIME type
text/plain) directly on the BSCW server without
restrictions. The text editor used is a simple text box where the contents of
the document are displayed and may be entered and edited.
To create a text document
• select File New Text Document in the top menu menu of the current folder.
• Enter name, optional tags and description of the new document. Enter the text of the document into the text box offered.
• Hit [OK] to create the document.
To edit a text document directly on the BSCW server,
• select Change Edit in the action menu of the document. When you use the built-in simple text editor, this action automatically locks the document, until you are finished with editing.
• The contents of the text document are displayed in a text box where you may edit the document freely.
• By hitting [OK], the edited document replaces the existing one or creates a new version if the document is under version control.
During document creation (either via upload or directly on the server), the character set of the document has been inferred from the creator’s browser information. You can also explicitly set the character set via Change Properties . Uncheck the check box ‘Try to select the character set for contents of a text file automatically’ and confirm with [OK]. You can then enter the character set for the document in the action form.
In addition to plain text documents, direct editing is also
possible for other types of text documents, e.g. for XML documents
text/xml). Because of the primitive nature of the
editing method, direct editing of text documents is only recommended for rather